Our City Dewas
The earliest reference to Dewas occurs in Prithvirajraso of Chand Bardai. It was a small village during the reign of Akbar. It is located on the Malwa plateau at the foot of the canonical Chamunda Hill(544m) which rises to a Devivasini shrine. Jain and Hindu temple ruins lie just south of the city in Nagara. The surrounding area consists chiefly of level plains of the Malwa plateau, watered by the Narmada, Kshipra and Kali Sindh rivers. Dewas was formerly the joint capital of Dewas Senior and Dewas Junior princely states. It was founded by the two Maratha brothers who entered Malwa in 1728. From 1841 the Senior and Junior branches of the family ruled their own portions independently as part of the British Central India Agency. Both the states merged with Madhya Pradesh in 1956.
There are a number of places of architectural importance, including Malhar Smriti Mandir and Vikram Hall. Cotton and flour milling, handloom weaving and soap manufacture are the city’s chief industries. The Bank Note Press, Cotton Textile mills, Kirloskar Brothers Ltd, Cummins Turbo Technologies, Gajra Gears etc have made Dewas a growing industrial sector.
The classical vocal singer Late Shri Kumar Gandharv gave a recognition of Dewas to all the music lovers in our country. It has a Musical Academy and a Government college of Education affiliated to Vikram University. It also has Training Colleges for Teachers, an Industrial Training Institute and a Basic Training Institute.The city also holds professional colleges such as ICFAI, Prestige Institute etc.